Once we got our fingerprints redone, there seemed to be no stopping us from going. All we needed was to take the leap of faith and GO! (All we needed to do....ha ha!) We were nervous--what if the passport wasn't issued when they said it would be?--but felt like we had as much information as we were going to get for awhile and knew that it was go now, or wait 'til August. And we wanted our son home...it was time.
So we bought the tickets, celebrated Mother's Day (a GREAT Mother's Day present!), and began the week that would lead to the most important leg of this great adventure.
Monday, the passport website was updated, and we got confirmation that our decision to go was the right one. The update read that Tom's passport had been granted and would be mailed by May 20th. Now, this does appear to be the standard answer...10 days after the first estimated mailing date is the second (and more accurate) estimated mailing date. Guess when our tickets had us arriving in country? May 20th.
That Monday morning, I was on the phone with our agency's social worker and also with an adoptive parent who had just returned from India the previous week. Both of these phone calls were immensely helpful, and I felt even more prepared. It's funny--I spent so much time pouring over the passport website that I knew more about the updating process than our social worker! This would come to be extremely helpful knowledge later...
The packing began, and every night that week, at least one of my teammates came over to help me, and one day I ran errands with another. Our team is truly like family to us, and we are so grateful. Thank you to Kara, Noel, Tang, Andrea, and of course NT. And Tim. And Jill (our babysitter who came over to help watch the kids and fold laundry while I was packing). Everyone pitched in, and the job got done! I hope to return the favor someday to each of you.
Another important thing that happened that week was that we finally were able to finalize Tom's name, something that we had been discussing for far too long. And now that we're with him, we love it even more! And the boys have even come around, I think...Rex has agreed to call him by the name we're giving him as long as I'm willing to call him by the nickname that he made up. I promised him that I would try!
The night before our travels began, the kids came running in the house, saying that I had to see the sunset. They were right: it was gorgeous, and I couldn't help but think that God was giving us a beautiful picture and reminder of His beauty and never-ending presence. Sun up, sun down....the sun is faithful. And our God is faithful. He showed us a gorgeous piece of His creation so that we could see and be reminded of His glory and majesty in all things. Praise Him!
A sunset view from our front porch...
This is the last night that it would be just Rex, Neil, and Beth in the house. Next up...Baby Tom!
This was Rex's idea, and I love how it turned out!
I almost fell over trying to pick up Neil...he's getting so big!
Me and my guy! I miss him, and can't wait to see him in less than a week. Buddy, we're coming home, and you will get to finally meet your little brother! :) We have heard such great reports from the families that Neil has been staying with....we are so proud of him!
Of course, the neighborhood kids wanted to get in on the photo action!
Kara, Neil and I with (from left), J, S, and A
All around the world, children like to get their pictures taken. By themselves. I was happy to oblige these special neighbor girls. We've know A for 4 years now, and she (and J) are now being intentionally mentored by Kara!
No comments:
Post a Comment