Cutest Blog on the Block Background

Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Bridge

A few weeks ago, when things weren't looking so good for traveling soon, I had a serious talk with Rex on the way home from school.  "Rex, I need to tell you that it's possible that we won't be able to travel to India until August.  We might go soon, but we might not.  We are asking that God will answer our passport prayers quickly, but we just don't know.  And we have to trust Him with whatever His answer is."  I went on to explain that at this point, it could be that we might just go, even if we didn't hear word of the passport, or we might just wait until August.  And Mama and Daddy were praying to God, that He would give us wisdom about what to do.

My creative and insightful (and a bit morbid) Rex came up with a beautiful picture.  He said, "It's kind of like we're on a bridge, and up ahead are 2 roads, one in each direction, and we don't want to go on either of them.  Kind of feels like we'd rather just jump off the bridge and drown."  I assured him that if the bridge had to be crossed in order for us to adopt Baby J, that there was no way that we were jumping off.  We were on this bridge 'til we got to our destination.

And I told him that what we really wanted was for God to build a new road that went straight...straight to the passport!

He continued his word picture:  "It's kind of like right now, there is a third road that goes straight and it's under construction, but the construction workers are building it toward the bridge, so there's still a gap...and they just went on break.  And the weather is foreboding and looks like a storm is brewing."

It was a great picture for me, and we've referred to it often since, asking God to move the storm, get the construction workers back to their jobs, and get the rest of that road built before we got to the end of the bridge and needed to choose a road.

As it was, we sort of got to the road, turned left (chose to go to India without knowing for sure about the passport), but there was a shortcut that got us back to the under-construction road, so we took that (the shortcut being the fact that we were told that the passport would arrive by the time we got to India, so we knew that we were close).

Anyway, as of yesterday, by the mighty hand and the marvelous grace of God, the construction workers finally finished their work--and in the perfect timing!  The bridge has been crossed, and we are on our way home!  The road isn't perfectly straight, as it turns out, as there are a few little detours here and there, but no more major traffic jams up ahead (Lord willing).  The view ahead is amazing!

2 comments:

kash said...

Love the illustration Rex, or maybe God asked you not to rely on the bridge but to jump in and swim!!!

"My heart is racin' and my knees are weak as I walk to the edge
I know there is no turning back once my feet have left the ledge
And in the rush I hear a voice, it's telling me it's time to
Take the leap of faith
So here I go

I'm diving in
I'm going deep
In over my head I wanna be
Caught in the rush
Lost in the flow
In over my head I wanna go
The river's deep
The river's wide
The river's water is alive
So sink or swim
I'm diving in
I'm diving in"

Mama to AWE said...

I love that boy! God can walk on water too.

Post a Comment