Considering the incredible changes that were just around the corner for us, this day turned out to be so relaxing...a wonderful nap, spending time with family, and, of course, the new garden game that is all the rage...
...Bob and Larry ball!
I love the above picture, not because of the main subjects, but because of everything in the background. Of course, there is the tea on the table...I drink more tea when I'm in England than any other time ever. It is served often, and it is so delicious! When in England, do as the English--drink tea! Also, our nieces were showing off their super high heels, brought on by a conversation about fashion that arose after talking about the wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton. The royal wedding had taken place less than a month before we were there, so it was quite the talk still. The newspapers sitting on the couch were all momentos of the wedding...they had an extra one, so they let me have it. I had gotten up at 3 a.m. and watched the wedding, so being there and chatting with E and P about the fascinators and other traditions surrounding the event was really fun!
I love the above picture, not because of the main subjects, but because of everything in the background. Of course, there is the tea on the table...I drink more tea when I'm in England than any other time ever. It is served often, and it is so delicious! When in England, do as the English--drink tea! Also, our nieces were showing off their super high heels, brought on by a conversation about fashion that arose after talking about the wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton. The royal wedding had taken place less than a month before we were there, so it was quite the talk still. The newspapers sitting on the couch were all momentos of the wedding...they had an extra one, so they let me have it. I had gotten up at 3 a.m. and watched the wedding, so being there and chatting with E and P about the fascinators and other traditions surrounding the event was really fun!
Back to Bob and Larry ball...to be honest, I never understood the rules, and I'm not sure anyone else did either...I'm pretty sure that P and Rex were making the rules up as they went. Something akin to a mix between softball and cricket, only using sticks and a stuffed Bob the Tomato. Whatever the silliness, we were all having a grand time!
Have I mentioned how beautiful it was there??! The perfect weather! Doors and windows were open, and we were quite comfy without jackets. It was lovely all around!
One of the best parts of the day was getting to check in at home and talk with our kids, whom I was already missing so much. I talked with both my sister (complete with a little sweet voice in the background and a quick "Hi...Aunt Becky gave me some gum!" from Beth to warm my heart) while swinging in the front garden and with Neil. It was great to talk with him but, to be honest, he was more interested in getting back to the bike-riding and the basketball-playing outside than he was in talking to me! Melanie, with whose family he was staying, reported that Neil was doing very well, missing us a little but doing fine overall. We were so incredibly thankful. Later, Mel gave us a picture that she took while Neil was talking on the phone to me that first evening. It was fun to picture him and great to know that he was doing so well. (Hey, Buddy...Mama was sitting here, by the computer, when I talked to you!)
Next, it was off to check on dinner. The Shepherd's Pie looked fantabulous (and it was!)...
...and the brownies still looked as delicious as before. :)
Outside, the cousins continued to play (and search for Waldo)...
...while inside, the table was set and ready for dinner!
I remember sitting down for dinner that night, feeling like there was no possible way that we had only arrived in England that morning! But we had. Jetlag does funny things to people. It had been such a beautiful day, and we completed it with a delicious late-evening English dinner--and a *solid night's sleep!
*NOTE: My "solid night's sleep" didn't start until 4 a.m., but once I slept, I slept very soundly! Here is a link to the post I wrote that night, just before I headed up for bed and the birds started their morning song... http://happylittlefleet.blogspot.com/2011/05/one-more-before-bed.html
1 comment:
The journey continues, can't wait for more...
Post a Comment