It's very hard to believe, considering how much we packed into our short time in England, but there was only one full day that we were actually there, plus most of another day and part of a third. I feel like we were there for a week! This day was spent doing what we love doing while we are there...getting to live like locals and visit some of Jill's family's favorite spots with them!
Back in May, at the end of this day, I blogged about it. If you'd like to revisit that post, click here. It is fun to read, as we can now see so many answered prayers--plus it's just fun to read about it right after it had all happened, while it was fresh. This post (as well as the next) will mostly be pictures capturing the events that were recorded in the above-linked post.
In this photo, I was trying to capture what it's like to drive in Jill's small town in southern England. Obviously, it is normal there, but imagine having to wait to cross over the first lane of traffic you see here to join the traffic in the far lane (Even as I think about it now, I get all mixed up!), plus the streets are small and there are lots of hills. I didn't drive there while on this trip, but on a previous trip, I did....stick shift with your left hand requires a whole different kind of shift in your brain, too! Very thankful that Jill was our chauffeur on this trip!
Vehicles are much smaller there than here in the States, so in Jill's 8-seater minivan, there is very little room in the back, and it's a 4-door, so the person(s) sitting in the back have to crawl over the back seat to get to the back-back seat. (Thanks, E, for volunteering! I know you were cramped back there, but I appreciate it!) The good news is that most things are so close that you are never in the car for a very long time.
Rex and P trying desperately to find that Waldo guy!
The ubiquitous skinny-rectangle license plate found in England. The front plate is white; back plate is yellow. At least I think that's right. Jill, can you confirm?
Hoffbeast was very suspicious about this particular tea shoppe. Not really, but he sure looks that way! We were in search of a cream tea, but for some reason we were having trouble finding a cafe that had one available during the times we were there. No matter...we were quite hungry, so we decided to stay there for lunch.
Our niece, E, is a budding photographer. Knowing that, I gave her my camera while we went in to get seated. Imagine--a playground outside a cafe...brilliant! I love the images that she captured of Rex and his cousin, P!
When our table was ready, we headed to the outdoor eating area. Many eateries seem to have outdoor seating in England, and I love it! Spring in Surrey....lovely!
I ordered a Coronation Chicken panini, which was made with a special-recipe chicken/cranberry mix that was first made for Queen Elizabeth during her coronation meal by her personal chef. It was delicious! I ended up eating half of Rex's sandwich, too!
And the winner of the most random item found during our trip in England goes to.......the Soldier Egg Cup and Toast Cutter!!! I kind of wish that I would have bought it now. It would be a great (albeit very surprising and a wee bit confusing) Christmas gift!
No comments:
Post a Comment