After our delicious lunch, we ventured to the high street of Jill's small town, knowing there was a cafe there that has a scrumptious cream tea. We've had it before, and we were wanting to try something new, but really, why mess with the best? It. did. not. disappoint. Even now, I can almost taste it if I think hard enough!
(Click here to see the original blog post about this day that I wrote while we were still in England.)
Darnley's, our destination shoppe, is on the right.
Rex was simply mesmerized by the size of his hot chocolate! (Note: his eyes do the same thing as mine when he is zoning out.)
Yum!! Can't wait to dig in!
While enjoying our afternoon tea, E was showing us her photography class's end-of-year project/portfolio. She is so talented and has such an eye for the art!
Ten minutes later, the hot chocolate had barely been touched. Rex claimed that he didn't like it. I say that jetlag was kicking in and that his tastebuds had gone on strike. Couldn't just let that deliciousness go to waste, so.....I drank it, of course!
And here it is. The cream tea. Clotted cream and jam on biscuits. Simply delicious! Makes my mouth water just looking at this picture!
Look at the fancy dishes used--and this for a little afternoon snack!
Another picture that perfectly captures an afternoon in England...I look at this, and in a second, I'm back there. I have no idea when we will go again, but when we do, I'm heading straight for Darnley's!
All the sugar made Rex just a wee bit loopy, so P gave him a lift up the high street and back to the car. Another beautiful afternoon in the books. Next up? More eating...this time at dinner!
Jill and Peter had prepared and grilled a fabulous assortment of meats for Peter's birthday dinner, and we ate up! I'm telling you...we just ate pretty much the whole day. It was great. :) Food, fun, and family...doesn't get much better than that! Of course, we hadn't planned our trip to be there on Peter's birthday, but we were sure glad that it worked out that way. We love our family across the pond, and anytime we get to see them, we are blessed. We ended the day by singing to the birthday guy, eating summer pudding, and sitting around the table for a couple of hours hearing about their lives and travels. The next day, we would be off on another huge travel journey of our own!
Hoffbeast could hardly wait to dig into the summer pudding!
(For more pictures of our evening, click on the above link.)
1 comment:
All I can say is... yum. Plus, I was NOT expecting cream tea to be... bread and cream. Um, what? Weird English language :P
Post a Comment