The concrete thinking of children is very apparent in Beth these days. A couple of recent precious moments...
-A few nights ago, I was reading to Beth and Tom before bed, and we were reading from the Jesus Storybook Bible. (It is an amazing read, by the way...even adults can learn a lot from it. By far the best children's Bible I've ever seen!) We were reading the story about Jesus teaching His disciples how to pray. It said something like "You don't need clever words or lots of words to talk to Jesus. You can talk to God just like you talk to anyone else you love very much." I stopped and said, "Beth, you know how you come and tell Mama that you love me at random times during the day, for no reason? (Which she does...a lot. It's one of the many amazingly precious things about her!) You can do that with God, too. At any time, you could just stop and tell Jesus that you love him." She looks at me and says, "I'm going to tell him in my heart." Silly me...I was thinking that she meant that she would just silently pray in her head. Nope. She puts her head as close to her chest as possible and whispers loudly and forcefully, "I love you, Jesus." She told him that she loved him in(to) her heart. It was incredibly precious, as my girl didn't hesitate to go right to where Jesus lives to talk to Him.....in her heart.
No wonder kids love Amelia Bedelia so much....she thinks very concretely, just like the kids!
-A few nights ago, I was reading to Beth and Tom before bed, and we were reading from the Jesus Storybook Bible. (It is an amazing read, by the way...even adults can learn a lot from it. By far the best children's Bible I've ever seen!) We were reading the story about Jesus teaching His disciples how to pray. It said something like "You don't need clever words or lots of words to talk to Jesus. You can talk to God just like you talk to anyone else you love very much." I stopped and said, "Beth, you know how you come and tell Mama that you love me at random times during the day, for no reason? (Which she does...a lot. It's one of the many amazingly precious things about her!) You can do that with God, too. At any time, you could just stop and tell Jesus that you love him." She looks at me and says, "I'm going to tell him in my heart." Silly me...I was thinking that she meant that she would just silently pray in her head. Nope. She puts her head as close to her chest as possible and whispers loudly and forcefully, "I love you, Jesus." She told him that she loved him in(to) her heart. It was incredibly precious, as my girl didn't hesitate to go right to where Jesus lives to talk to Him.....in her heart.
-Today, Beth and Tom were arguing. Probably over Baby Nani, the favored baby doll in our house. I cannot wait until Christmas so that I can give Tom his new baby already! Tom walks around insisting that Baby Nani is his, and then Beth runs after him defending that, in fact, she is hers! This happens every day, often more than once. Anyway, this morning I took Baby Nani away from them both and explained that we would share her in 15-minute increments today. That seemed pretty good. So then I told them to shake hands, since they were making a deal. They proceeded to literally shake their hands....it was hilarious because they had no idea just how funny they were being! They weren't trying to be funny...they were just doing what I had asked them to do.
No wonder kids love Amelia Bedelia so much....she thinks very concretely, just like the kids!

1 comment:
Oh my goodness - I'm more behind than I thought! But this post is seriously cracking me up... I might do that from now on. Literally talking to Jesus in my heart and literally shaking my hands :)
Post a Comment