It was finally here...the day we would fly to India. We would be meeting our son THE DAY AFTER THIS ONE! It was heart-stopping excitement, and we had to just keep putting one foot in front of the other to keep from getting overwhelmed by what was about to happen. This video was taken right before we went outside and loaded up the car...
Click here to read the post I wrote the morning we left England...
Click here to read the post I wrote the morning we left England...
Jill and Peter live on a close. As in, their street address is something like 4 Carriage Close. A close is one main driveway off of the main road that then has multiple smaller driveways off of that one. Sort of like a court or a cul-de-sac but not really because there is only room for one car to comfortably be on the drive. I love it...it's so cozy! You'd sure want to get along with your close neighbors, though, as well...you're very close to them!
Rex is ready to go! And Hoffbeast poses with his niece and sister, E and Jill.
Heathrow is a gigantic airport, but everyone we met was very helpful and excited about the purpose for our travel.
Daddy and Rex joked around, and Jill took lots of silly pictures of them while they were waiting for me to get us all checked in.
While finding the check-in was relatively easy, getting from there to our gate was a haul-and-a-half! But we made it...and even had time to stop at an airport cafe for a coffee. Tragedy averted: Rex forgot his book in Aunt Jill's car...enter Daddy to the rescue!
Finally, we were in the plane and seated for the long flight to India. India....we were going to INDIA! That's where Tom lived!!!! Soon, we would see his sweet face in person!
None of us had ever been to Asia, so the prospect of our arrival would have been exciting even if Tom hadn't been in the picture. With him waiting for us, it was so overwhelming, exciting, scary, uncertain, and every other kind of emotion that it was hard to contain ourselves. Breathe, people, breathe. (I must say that Hoffbeast would never describe it the way I am right now. He is always so steady and calm...but I know that inside, he was feeling much of the same. Come to think of it, I was pretty calm, too...I had to be, I suppose, as there were so many details to keep track of, and I had to stay steady for Rex's sake. But. I. was. so. so. so. so. excited!)
Our first view of Tom's birth country would be out of this window...
...and we were off! Somewhere over the patchwork farmlands of southern England.
Rex (and us, too!) loved being able to check and see just where we were on the map...
Again, we should have been sleeping, but we were too excited. There was some sleep, but mostly, we filled the time with movie watching, channel changing, and Waldo searching. And eating. Rex actually liked almost everything on his plate...especially the rice pudding and the dessert. He did think that it was a little funny that there was a packet of ketchup on the plate with the sandwich.
Sleep came soon after eating and then, before we new it, we were landing in Delhi!
(Check out the above map. I couldn't help but think of all the tragedy that had occurred in the land underneath us over the decades and centuries. Seeing all the mountains on the map, I imagined our soldiers working to avenge the deaths of 3000 people on 9/11, seeking out the terrorists and fighting to make a people free. I thought of the firefights that had occurred in the very airspace we were flying in....and here we were, peacefully flying high while a war waged below. Almost without thought, hopping over the warzone to the place our heart resided. Very strange juxtaposition.)
No comments:
Post a Comment