The saga began on Dec. 7, but it does appear that at some point, we will get back into our house. This week, lots of work was finally done, and 75% of the radiators are installed. The final hook-ups should happen on Monday, and if they do, we should have heat in the house by Tuesday afternoon. (Wednesday is my birthday, so that'd be a nice gift.) Here is a scene from the house this week...there are radiators everywhere! At one point, there were 38 radiators sitting in our house. Yesterday, the last of the ones we don't want left the house, along with one that we do want. Oops. So that one will have to come back. Kind of par for the course.
In Part XXIII (or so) of the saga--I realize that you haven't heard parts I-XXII, but you'll just have to guess on those for now--I walked into the house on Wednesday this week, and one of the workers asked if I had seen the back yard. When I told him that I hadn't, he said that I needed to. I walked out back, and there sat the most beautiful, fully-sandblasted radiator. Now, this is a big deal because prior to this day, that same radiator had been sitting inside our house with a ton of rust and 4 coats of chipping paint on it. It was unusable. But on Wednesday, it was a thing of beauty.
Thursday, it got even better, when Rex and I went over to the house and spraypainted it silver--in our garage. Now, you aren't generally advised to spraypaint when it's 28 degrees outside, but what choice did we have? It was either that or let the guys move it back in having only been primed. That radiator weighs about 800 pounds, so we thought it best to leave it alone once it was back in the house. Yesterday, they moved it into place, and it looks great! Rex and I had a good ol' time, too!
The other thing that Rex and I have been up to is getting his passport pictures taken for his Indian visa. Hopefully we will be able to send the application in on Monday. Here he is at Walgreen's while waiting for his pictures to be developed. Yep, that's the smile he used in the pictures, too.
The boiler going out in our house--it's been a rough ride, and I'll really be okay if I never have to work with a contractor again. Fat chance on that. But hopefully we've learned a thing or two that will help us in the next go-around. You'd think we would have learned it by now, what with all of our experience, but as usual, there's always something new that can go wrong so that I have another opportunity to learn.
There's a lot of waiting going on right now...waiting to move back to our house, waiting to get Jag home, waiting for our new normal to begin. I don't like the waiting, but it's necessary. And sometimes in the necessary, there's some (or a lot of) good to be found.
I'm sure when I look back, the good will be profoundly obvious. ;)



2 comments:
Lots going ons for the Hoffmans, can't wait to see your new gleaming radiators, but most of all see that cute little Jag in person, nestled in his Momma's arms!!
Praise the Lord for His timing - so Sovereign He is in everything! Many prayers lifted up for ya'll.
Post a Comment