Cutest Blog on the Block Background

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Our Cramazing May, Episode XLVII: The Happiest Moments

So, after much, much, much waiting, praying, wondering, waiting some more, praying a bunch, working it out, and then waiting a lot more, in a moment, everything was moving in warp speed!

After thanking the nice security guard at the guard house outside the passport office for taking our pictures, we moved quickly back to the van, and our driver sped away.  It was now almost 5 p.m., and we had just 2 hours to get to the hotel, throw our stuff in the van, drive a half hour to the airport, buy our tickets, and get on a plane.  That was a lot to do in a very little time.

The drive back to the hotel was a different kind of cramazing.  We couldn't stop looking at the passports, and the smiles wouldn't leave our faces!  I couldn't wait to get back and celebrate with everyone, and I was so excited about seeing the look on Karen's face when Scott gave her the news.  Technology stole my thunder, though, because when we got back, she already knew.  I'm still not sure how she knew, but I think maybe Scott had called ahead to give the hotel a heads-up that we were going to be busting out of there in rapid fashion.
We gave L and Rex the news, and they were ecstatic...it was really cute.  Tom, on the other hand, was just real tired.
While checking out, I couldn't resist snapping this pic of our favorite and most reliable bellhop.  He was always ready to help, and this was no exception!
We ran up to the room and as quickly as possible, got all the luggage back downstairs...
...and shoved into our mini van.  Pretty hysterical as we realized that we had to stuff  luggage for seven people in there...and still fit all of us plus Tuna and the driver in there, too.  Believe me...we didn't care at that point.  In fact, we loved it!  This was the adventure we had been waiting for!
We quick ran back in to say goodbye to our beloved Ginger...
It really was a great place to have to spend five days!
Here are Rex and Karen, stuffed in tight on our ride to the airport!  On the way there, we all laughed and talked and celebrated and rejoiced and just. couldn't. believe it.  At the same time, we were suddenly aware that we were leaving this place that had been home to our children for their whole lives.  As we drove, I tried to take in all the sites of Orissa that were in front of me...
motorcycles everywhere
an official government residence
beautiful drawings adorning the ubiquitous city walls
single women in traditional tunics talking on cell phones
married women in ornate, traditional saris
And then, before we knew it, we were at the airport, facing our next challenge:  buying tickets for the flight to Delhi.  We needed seven tickets, and the plane was near full already.  Scott and I again went into detail mode and approached yet another window, trying to make friends with yet another Oriyan who would become part of our story.  The woman behind the glass was very curious about our adoptions, and she didn't seem to respond well to me but was happy to talk to the tall, male American.  So Scott pulled out the woo and made it happen!  Tickets were purchased...I could hardly believe this was actually happening....it still seemed like a glitch was sure to be around the corner.

We got through the initial security check with relative ease and were soon waiting to move to the gate and load the plane, the only glitch in sight being that Tom had a blowout diaper, one that I for sure did not want to accompany us onto the plane!  I quick went and changed his diaper, and we were set! 


VID00057 from Hoffbeauty on Vimeo.

Saying goodbye to Tuna was bittersweet.  Of course, we were more than eager to get on the plane, but leaving our dear brother was hard...he had been such a beloved companion and confidant and guide and friend in such a short time.  Scott got last minute directions from him about what to do when we arrived in Delhi and about how to reach him should we need anymore help.  And then we gathered and prayed one last time together, gave hugs and kisses, and said goodbye for now.  I can't wait 'til the day when we are reunited again...someday.
The kids were champs.  They were tired and hungry, but somehow they all seemed to understand that we just had to get through this.  Security was a pain, as they had to check through every one of our carry-ons, but again, we couldn't possibly complain at this point.  We just wanted to get through it and be told that we could go.  
I can't remember exactly what, but someone ended up leaving one of our carry-ons behind, and we almost completely left it.  Luckily, we remembered and were able to retrieve it!  Tragedy averted!
Between that picture and the next, the most amazing thing happened.  All seven of us--the people who just a few hours earlier thought this would be impossible--walked together out on the tarmac for the beautiful, surreal, dark-blue-just-evening-sky walk out to the plane...and up the stairs...and were seated.  We. were. so. happy.  Can you tell??!
I realize that there is a lot of exhaustion in this picture, too, but believe me...it was a happy exhaustion.  I remember just sitting in my seat thinking, "I can't believe all that just happened."  But it had.  And we were here.

Cramazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment