Hi, everyone! I have reached the all-important 24 weeks, and I want to thank each one of you again for the ways that you have reached out to us, prayed for us, made us laugh, taken care of our children during my many doctors appointments, brought us meals, etc.
My appointment last Friday was with the perinatologist, but for the first time, I was able to see a different peri than the one I've been seeing, and I'm not gonna lie....it was great! Hoffbeast and I both really liked him and were so appreciative of his concern. For example, he actually asked me, "So, how are you feeling?" Seems like an easy question and one that a doctor would readily ask, but Dr. W just never goes there. That's just not his way. We have gotten to know him enough that we have accepted it, but it sure was nice to have a change. Apparently, you just see whatever peri is on the schedule that day; since my appointments are always on Fridays, I will continue to see whatever doc is there on Friday of that particular week. Let's hope Dr. M is there next time again.
Dr. W had explained awhile ago that at 24 weeks, the risks for this pregnancy begin to drop. Our son, Bart, has made it now far enough that if he were to be born, he could likely survive with the help of the amazing neonatal intensive care units that are available to us. Here in Milwaukee, we have the #4 Children's Hospital in the nation, and the hospital where I will deliver has a Level 1 NICU. In addition, our closest hospital, in the case of an emergency, also has a Level 1, and our dear friend, Megan, is a nurse in the NICU there.
That is not to say that we are ready to meet him yet! We are hoping that we can make it to at least 30 weeks, as that will ensure that Bart has a much better chance at not only surviving, but thriving in life.
Baby Aaron....oh, I love him. Yes, I do. Whenever we get to see the boys on the ultrasound screen, it is a joy. I watched Bart move and stretch and kick, and my heart swelled. I can't wait to meet him, to hold him, to get to kiss his little cheeks. And then the picture moved to Aaron, and I'm telling you...my heart swelled again. I felt such love for him, just like I had felt upon seeing Bart. He is tiny, and he will not survive without a miracle, but for now, there is still blood flowing to his little body, and I am enjoying every moment with him. And I can't wait to meet him, too, and to hold him and kiss his little cheeks. It might be soon, or it might be in eternity, but it will happen....oh, I'm so thankful!
One of the risks that we are facing is that often in this kind of pregnancy, excess amniotic fluid develops. If this should happen, I will need to have an amniocentisis every other week or so to remove fluid. Let's just say that I would rather not have to undergo that. So please pray that my fluid levels would stay in the normal range. Of course, we are also watching my blood pressure, and as soon as I hit around 28 weeks, I will begin more intensive monitoring.
For those of you in Milwaukee who have babysat during my appointments, thank you! I would like to give a special thanks to Karlin, Lisa, Lisa, and Nicole for serving us in that way, as well as to my teammates Kara, Bridget, Andrea, Cheryl, Anna, and Katharine for helping with so many around-the-house and babysitting/driving kids odds and ends.
Soon, I will be having twice-a-week appointments, so I probably need to find some other people who can watch my littles here and there...don't want to wear out our welcome with the 4 ladies I mentioned above. ;) If anyone else is willing (Sam, you're on the list--thank you!), please let me know.
Today, I went to Sam's Club and purchased a deep freezer (Thank you, Mom and Dad!), so once that is delivered, I can begin to stock it up with meals...that will be great! Hopefully I won't need to be hospitalized at the previously-suggested June 19-ish date, but we will have to wait and see...I plan to ask my midwife about that one when I see her tomorrow. Either way, it will be good to have meals frozen and ready to go for whenever they are needed. I think a meal list will be made at some point for anyone who wants to help in that way.
Thank you again.......for everything. We are all very grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment