Our first morning in Delhi began with breakfast, an easy task in this posh, beautiful hotel. We were living in the lap of luxury, even compared with the nicest hotels we've stayed in here in the USA. Everywhere we turned, there were reasons to be thankful that we had ended up at this hotel....a restaurant with delectable food, a mall attached with anything we could possibly need, and simply impeccable service. The staff at the hotel treated us with such care, and to this day, we still recommend this hotel to any other traveling families.
But that morning, we had work to do! Before Tom and L were allowed to enter the USA, they were required to have a TB skin test done, a test that required 48 hours between administration and reading. So promptly at 9:30 a.m. (after falling asleep somewhere in the wee hours of the morning), we had to appear at the doctor's office, armed with paperwork, money for the test, and......7 small passport-sized photographs of the kids. Oops. I had forgotten that not-so-minor detail.
We had gotten the name of a driver from a previously-traveling family, but because of our late arrival, we weren't able to hook up with him for this trip. So we hired 2 automobiles and set out to look for the doctor's office, which we were told was pretty close to the hotel. Buildings ran together and looked alike, small temples adorning the streets everywhere we looked, but finally we saw signs of a medical clinic, and it became apparent that we had arrived.
One of the first things I noticed upon walking in was the sign on the wall that warned that identifying a baby's gender during an ultrasound was illegal. I remember that that image wouldn't leave my mind for awhile, a public reminder of the crimes against baby girls rampant throughout the country. Of course there is a black market for ultrasounds which will tell this news, but at least officially, India is trying to stop the abortion of baby girls for the mere reason that they are girls. My heart is heavy even now when I think of the atrocity and so sad to know that sweet, innocent girls are discarded simply because of their gender. I want to adopt a baby girl from India...I'm just sayin'.
Considering all that had happened the previous two days with Rim, I wasn't a bit worried about the outcome of this doctor's visit, but for some reason, the whole task was still a bit daunting. The "receptionist" was all business--he never smiled, and when he finally addressed us after we had waited for quite some time, he expected us to have everything in order and seemed to be not so happy about the fact that we didn't have pictures.
In fact, I really had forgotten. It was as if all of the mental energy I had for details had been used up in Orissa, and when we finally arrived in Delhi, I mentally collapsed. Thankfully, Scott picked up the detail reigns, making all the arrangements with the drivers and taking over at the doctor's office where I couldn't. Again, Hoffbeast and Karen were in charge of comforting and entertaining the kids....the four of us really made a great team!
We were able to get directions to a shop close by that would take passport pictures of the kids, so we headed out on this new adventure. Finding the shop was like finding a needle in a haystack, but eventually, we did find it. It was tiny and crowded, and I was thirsty and not feeling it, so daddy stayed with Tom while Rex and I went on a little walk to find some bottled water.
Our walk turned out to be one of the most "local" few minutes of our time in Delhi. We strolled, taking in the sights, sounds, and smells, observing while being on guard, aware of how out of place we must have looked. We found a stand that sold water, bought a few bottles, and began heading back. As we were walking back, Rex asked me about the many temples we were passing, and about that time, we saw a woman enter one to pray. This temple was only big enough for half a dozen people or so to be inside, and the faith with which she confidently entered made my heart so heavy....why this temple instead of that one? Why this god instead of the other? The spiritual poverty and the emptiness held within those four unsturdy walls was impossible to miss. So Rex and I prayed as we walked....for that particular woman, for the beautiful country our son/brother had come from, for the people there to know the One True God.
When we got back to the shop, the photos were being developed, and we were almost ready to head back to the doctor. But while Rex and I waited outside, we couldn't miss the two precious little girls who had plopped themselves on the steps of the shop. At first, I assumed that they were there with a parent, waiting for him to finish his inside-the-shop business. But soon, it became clear that they were there alone, street children wandering around by themselves, trying to find food to eat and things to do to pass the time. These girls were maybe 5 and 6 years old...and stunning. Beautiful, precious little girls....I wanted to scoop them up and take them home, but all we could do was share what we had. They were happy for the little treats we gave them, and Rex, of course, struck up a conversation with his eyes. Those girls represent for me all the little boys and girls all over India who live like this....I never want to forget them.
After the photos were developed, we headed back to the doctor's office, where more waiting led to the eventual meeting with the stern but kind doctor, who asked us the basic questions about Tom's health and examined him. He was curious about why we were choose a boy with amniotic banding to adopt, and we gladly told him of God's provision in bringing him to our family. He gave Tom the clearance and sent us to the test room, where the TB test was quickly administered, and we were told to return in 2 days for the reading.
The next wait was in the lobby, where we had to wait in a line to pay for the exam/test. Waiting, waiting, lots of waiting in India! Finally, we were able to pay and returned to our autos for the trip back to the hotel. By this time, we were all hungry and very, very exhausted!
I ventured out to the mall with the boys that afternoon while Daddy took a nap, and we found the food court, complete with lots of Indian-inspired American fast-food restaurants. I'm not gonna lie....I enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed the random chicken place called something like "Kenny's American Chicken". I had never heard of it before, but it was the most "American" thing I tasted while in India, and I enjoyed it...a lot. A few times.
When we got back from lunch, it was my turn for a nap, so Daddy and the boys went exploring. There was a bad storm outside, but they opened up the 3rd floor roof door anyway, just to look and see what the pool was like. Hoffbeast told me that there were huge waves in the pool, and shortly after opening the door and just a few feet from where they were standing, part of the facade fell off the side of the building above them and crashed to the ground. He stood there, staring at the danger that they had just missed....praise God. Immediately, hotel staff came rushing out, saw the damage, and quickly shooed Hoffbeast and the boys away saying, "You should go inside. There is a bad storm...the pool is closed!" Yes, I would say that the pool area would be closed after that! At next check, all signs of the incident were gone...as if nothing ever happened. Where is OSHA when you need 'em??!
That evening, Hoffbeast and I chatted in our room and made plans for the next few days while the boys played. It felt so good to have our boys together forever....and we couldn't wait to get home to introduce Neil and Beth to their new brother, too. But before we could do that, we had to get through two doctor's visits and a very important visit to the Embassy. There was a lot to do.
Following are scenes from our room that night....fun was being had by this part of our little family, and our hearts were very full.
2 comments:
Love.
I just read through all of the new posts. Umm, cramazing all over again!! Keep the updates coming, shoffman - this is so wonderful to read!
Post a Comment