Cutest Blog on the Block Background

Sunday, January 27, 2013

The story--a catchup (from Caringbridge)

I have decided that I want to post our Caringbridge updates here, too, if even just so I have a record of what was happening at this time in our lives...and also, I suppose, because some people may choose to come here instead of to the Caringbridge site.  Either is fine.  This is a post from Jan. 20...
Hello, faithful friends, family, and prayer warriors--
I don't know how much to say...there is so much.  But I am going to attempt to get something on paper and into your hands so that you know at least some of the specific ways to be praying.
For a little catchup:
-Dec. 11--found out we were pregnant!
-Dec. 20--found out there were twins!  One of the heartbeats was stronger than the other, and a vanishing twin situation was suspected.  It was excitement with a little bit of reservation (and a lot of excitement--we are parents of TWINS!).
-Dec. 26--found out that one twin hadn't grown in a week.  It appeared that we were miscarrying one baby.  We began to pray and wait for our next ultrasound 2 weeks away.
-Jan. 10--Both babies were there and growing!  Our doctor still suspected a miscarriage, but for us, it was excitement all around!  One baby's heartbeat was still weaker than the other.  More waiting.
-Jan. 18--Saw the perinatologist for the first time for the purpose of getting started on Lovenox, the blood thinner that I'm on when I'm pregnant (because of my genetic propensity to clot and my history).  Found out the terribly difficult news that one of our babies doesn't have a functioning heart and is being kept alive by the other baby who is doing all of the blood pumping for both of them.  Heard clearly that not only will one not survive, but the other will eventually be in danger if the other one continues to grow.  It's a horribly sad situation, and we begin to process all that this diagnosis means.  The decision is made to wait on the Lovenox, in case an intrauterine surgery is needed in the next couple of months.
-Jan. 24--My OB sends me to the ER due to persistent headaches, concerned about possible blood clots.  The ER doc considers various tests involving various risks but eventually decides that it's best to start the Lovenox.  Daily injections, here I come!
That gets us to Friday.  You can already see some of the many ways to be praying....
I'm exhausted, and, by the way, JT has pneumonia and has been throwing up on and off for the last 10 hours or so.  Please pray for him, too.
Thank you for your love, prayers, kind words, and all the support you have given and will continue to give.  This is the beginning of a long road....
Love, Sarah (for Jeff, Seth, Thad, Hannah, JT, and the twins)

No comments:

Post a Comment