Cutest Blog on the Block Background

Monday, March 19, 2012

(Night) Life in the City

It's one of those nights. I'm trying to get to sleep, knowing that my 5:21 a.m. alarm is coming quickly. But I can't sleep. I'm not sure if it's the things on my mind or the caffeine I consumed today or the loud people yelling outside.

Pretty sure it's the loud people.

When this kind of thing happens, my mind won't quiet. There they are, two women broiled in a profanity-laced debate about who knows what. I tried to listen...sounds like one is trying to help the other, actually. But there were words exchanged that you never want to hear in front of your house, so the police have been called. Asked them to just drive by and be present in the neighborhood.

Usually I can just go to sleep after logging my call, knowing that it will be handled.

But tonight...they are still there.

They could be in a fight about drugs. Or a man. Or any number of things. Perhaps one is trying to get the other from going out to sell herself tonight. But since I have no way of knowing, I pray to the One who does.

He knows every single thing about those women. Their hurts. Their joys. Their struggles. Isn't that astounding? I stop and take that in. They are His creation, and He longs for them to be found in Him, taking in all the breadth and depth of His love, no longer crowded in by the perils that haunt so many in our city during the dark hours of the night.

Holy Spirit, come. Rescue her. Protect her tonight. Don't give up on her...like you didn't give up on me. And Lord, keep the reminders coming of where I was, so that I don't give up on her either.

No comments:

Post a Comment