One of the things that has been frustrating my life so much in the last week is the fact that we have lost Tom's green card.
Let me say that again. We have lost Tom's green card.
Anyone who has ever been in possession of a green card knows that, um, you don't lose it. Like, you just don't. It's that important.
But we did.
I can't tell you how aggravating it is to know that you opened this Very Important Document, know that you set it down in the spot where your Very Organized Husband would find and file it, and now know that it is gone.
I have spent hours over the last few days looking for it. Hours. Lots of hours. Both the structured I'm-going-to-be-logical-and-look-through-every-file kind of hours and the I'm-in-the-middle-of-folding-laundry-but-oooh-I-should-stop-and-look-in-that-random-place kind of hours.
It isn't here.
Considering the fact that the Hub never saw said green card, the most logical explanation is that the owner of the green card followed Mama to Daddy's desk, grabbed the mail she had just set down, and proceeded to circular file said mail for her. (Now, I'm not one to just go around blaming my toddlers for my mistakes normally, but it is just the type of thing that our little Curious George would do, and we simply can't figure out a better option. If and when the lost green card ever turns up, I promise that I will issue a public apology to my little.)
I was hoping that my third trip to the Social Security administration office yesterday would be the charm, but alas, it wasn't. Despite my best efforts at some sort of replacement document that would house the needed information, I have now been sufficiently convinced that I can not get a Social Security number for Tom without it. But the good news that I got yesterday is that there is such a thing as an Adoption Tax ID, so tomorrow I head to the IRS help office to see if I can apply for one of those for him, simply so we can get our taxes filled out while I then go and apply for a replacement green card.
More time, money, paperwork, and waiting, here we come. Fun, fun, fun.
NOTE TO PROSPECTIVE ADOPTIVE PARENTS: Don't lose the green card. Just don't. Make a copy, and file it right away.
I'm trying to trust that God has a reason....even for this....and that He can use even this frustration for His glory. And I'm thankful today for my renewed perspective that allows me to almost laugh at the situation--instead of crying.
Let me say that again. We have lost Tom's green card.
Anyone who has ever been in possession of a green card knows that, um, you don't lose it. Like, you just don't. It's that important.
But we did.
I can't tell you how aggravating it is to know that you opened this Very Important Document, know that you set it down in the spot where your Very Organized Husband would find and file it, and now know that it is gone.
I have spent hours over the last few days looking for it. Hours. Lots of hours. Both the structured I'm-going-to-be-logical-and-look-through-every-file kind of hours and the I'm-in-the-middle-of-folding-laundry-but-oooh-I-should-stop-and-look-in-that-random-place kind of hours.
It isn't here.
Considering the fact that the Hub never saw said green card, the most logical explanation is that the owner of the green card followed Mama to Daddy's desk, grabbed the mail she had just set down, and proceeded to circular file said mail for her. (Now, I'm not one to just go around blaming my toddlers for my mistakes normally, but it is just the type of thing that our little Curious George would do, and we simply can't figure out a better option. If and when the lost green card ever turns up, I promise that I will issue a public apology to my little.)
I was hoping that my third trip to the Social Security administration office yesterday would be the charm, but alas, it wasn't. Despite my best efforts at some sort of replacement document that would house the needed information, I have now been sufficiently convinced that I can not get a Social Security number for Tom without it. But the good news that I got yesterday is that there is such a thing as an Adoption Tax ID, so tomorrow I head to the IRS help office to see if I can apply for one of those for him, simply so we can get our taxes filled out while I then go and apply for a replacement green card.
More time, money, paperwork, and waiting, here we come. Fun, fun, fun.
NOTE TO PROSPECTIVE ADOPTIVE PARENTS: Don't lose the green card. Just don't. Make a copy, and file it right away.
I'm trying to trust that God has a reason....even for this....and that He can use even this frustration for His glory. And I'm thankful today for my renewed perspective that allows me to almost laugh at the situation--instead of crying.
1 comment:
I'm with you... praying that God's purpose for this frustration plays out in a beautiful display for His glory!
Post a Comment