There's something about leaving your normal surroundings and stuffing your family of seven in a standard-sized hotel room for a week.
There's just something about that. And despite what you might think, for our family, that something is good. Maybe it's the lack of "stuff" to distract us. Maybe it's the change of scenery, including the beautiful skyline adorned so beautifully at night with fancy everywhere-Christmas lights.
Or maybe it's the near 24/7 access to the Disney channel.
I'm not sure what it was, but I know that the result was lovely. It's been restful and tiring all at the same time. Productive and lazy, chill and crazy. All those fun opposite words...it's been all that.
But at the end of the day, we have made memories. And had the privilege of watching God work. Both of those are great ways to spend your Christmas vacation.
Today, Rex and I walked through the skyline to get some lunch and some medicine from Target, and as we went, we met Tim, a homeless guy trying to collect enough money for a shelter for the night. We were able to talk to him for a while and pray with him before we left.
One night this week, I stayed up late downstairs, taking surveys and talking to a group of students about North Myrtle Beach summer project. We bonded over 2nd Avenue South, and more, over how much God changed each of us during our summers there.
Speaking of North Myrtle, another highlight was getting to spend an hour or so with my Bible study leader/staff woman from that summer. Linda has been out of the country for 12 years, so catching up with her was quite special.
The life of a Cru staff family....what a privileged life we lead! Thank you, Lord, for being over all...may I seek your face more each day this year than I did the last and learn to trust you more, move more quickly out of my comfort zone, and follow your Holy Spirit's leading more sensitively. I don't want to be the same a year from now...take me deeper!
There's just something about that. And despite what you might think, for our family, that something is good. Maybe it's the lack of "stuff" to distract us. Maybe it's the change of scenery, including the beautiful skyline adorned so beautifully at night with fancy everywhere-Christmas lights.
Or maybe it's the near 24/7 access to the Disney channel.
I'm not sure what it was, but I know that the result was lovely. It's been restful and tiring all at the same time. Productive and lazy, chill and crazy. All those fun opposite words...it's been all that.
But at the end of the day, we have made memories. And had the privilege of watching God work. Both of those are great ways to spend your Christmas vacation.
Today, Rex and I walked through the skyline to get some lunch and some medicine from Target, and as we went, we met Tim, a homeless guy trying to collect enough money for a shelter for the night. We were able to talk to him for a while and pray with him before we left.
One night this week, I stayed up late downstairs, taking surveys and talking to a group of students about North Myrtle Beach summer project. We bonded over 2nd Avenue South, and more, over how much God changed each of us during our summers there.
Speaking of North Myrtle, another highlight was getting to spend an hour or so with my Bible study leader/staff woman from that summer. Linda has been out of the country for 12 years, so catching up with her was quite special.
The life of a Cru staff family....what a privileged life we lead! Thank you, Lord, for being over all...may I seek your face more each day this year than I did the last and learn to trust you more, move more quickly out of my comfort zone, and follow your Holy Spirit's leading more sensitively. I don't want to be the same a year from now...take me deeper!
No comments:
Post a Comment