Cutest Blog on the Block Background

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Guest Author Post: My Nephew, Richie

"Grandparents are an inspiration to us all. I am blessed to have one of the most adventurous men I've ever known as a grandfather. When I was a kid we (myself and my brothers, Ralph and Ryan) were always on the run. From Niagara Falls to Mammoth Cave, the Grand Canyon to Cumberland Gap: the backseat of a Chevrolet Corsica is a fantastic place to see half of the United States.

It wasn't always the times we were with him that he was seeing the world. The stories I've heard from... before my birth are even more incredible. Indy (as my wife, Stacy, referred to him for a while in homage to a famous fictional archaeologist) has climbed mountains and stared down bears as well as hitchhiked across the US to stowaway on a ship to get to the Sydney Olympics.
My own insatiable thirst for knowledge started in his house when I was a child, reading the encyclopedia as opposed to stories.

Each year he celebrates my birthday by calling and saying "Beware the Ides of March." Now, on his 86th birthday he fights everyday to make it to the next and I'm so thankful to have him around. He has shown me so much of what it means to be a good person, a scholar, and a man. Thank you for everything, Hunter Goin. We all (Velma, Rebekah, Tim, Sarah, Nicole, Noah, Ralph, and Ryan) love you and wish you the best on your birthday!"


No comments:

Post a Comment