Cutest Blog on the Block Background

Friday, January 16, 2015

Number 85


Today my dad and uncle turn 85.  I wish I had been home to celebrate with them, but it sounds like Mom, Dad, Uncle Jasper, and Aunt Gela had a lovely time together...and I'm so thankful.  So thankful that they have each other and that, despite several scares where we thought we were losing one of them, the Goin boys (including their younger brother, my Uncle John) are all still going strong!

I love this picture so much...Becky sent it to me, and when I showed it to a friend, I was asked if Mom and Aunt Gela are twins!  Funny.  "No," I said, "but Dad and Uncle Jasper are!"

It was 85 years ago, so the story goes, that my grandfather waited, anticipating news of baby's safe birth.  After having four daughters, he was hoping, of course, for a son.  That son would bear his name, and when the doctor opened the French doors into the living room, his announcement brought much rejoicing:  "You have a boy!"  Grandpa ran out the door to spread the news:  Jasper Calvin, Jr. had arrived!  Upon returning to the house, joy turned to double joy:  "You have another boy!"

It's hard for us, in the age of 4D ultrasounds, to appreciate the reality that a mother didn't know that twins were coming, but that was life in 1930.  Their family went from six to eight that day--surprise!  And since they didn't have a second boy name picked out--why would they?--my dad was given surnames for his first and second names, as well as for his last:  Hunter (my grandmother's maiden name) Dewitt (her mother's maiden name).

Great story...great legacy.  Dad, Uncle Jasper...I love you.  Happy 85th birthday to you both!



No comments:

Post a Comment