Cutest Blog on the Block Background

Friday, January 6, 2012

Mobile Catches of the Day

Today was one of those long-but-good days.  Today, I am thankful for the village (my friends) who help us raise our children well.  I am thankful for a country full of charity and good will, where children who are born with congenital disabilities can receive medical treatment at very little overall cost.  I am thankful for my smiling little loves, who run up for hugs and kisses when I've been gone for even a couple of minutes.  I am thankful for the resiliency and personality of our precious new son, who dazzles me each day with his smarts.  He is curious and mischievous and wonderful, and his language development in seven months home has to be off the charts...I love him.

Today, we traveled to Shriner's Hospital for Children, where Tom was seen by an orthopedic surgeon.  We are very much looking forward to getting this surgery show on the road, and it looks like it will likely happen within the next few months.  We are still deciding whether we should have the surgeries at Shriner's or at our Children's Hospital, but today's visit at Shriner's was very good, especially thanks to Jose, the financial counselor who works with families and talks through all issues related to payment.  I had some questions, and he answered them as best as he could--and didn't make me feel dumb in the process.  At the end of the appointment, the nurse asked if Tom likes cars.  He and I both answered in the affirmative (in our own ways), and I expected her to return with a Matchbox car.  She brought him this.  He squeeled...it was pretty cute!  I'm sure, Daddy, that he was actually squeeling, "It's a Fooooooorrrrrrddddd!!!!"

I'm not sure if it will upload, but I took a video on my phone during the time in between seeing the resident and seeing the surgeon.  After the resident examined Tom's hands and feet and had left the room, Tom became the "doctor" and kept crawling up onto the rolling stool to examine my hands.  He would say, "I check Mama's bumps."  Then he would hold each of my hands in his, turning them over and then saying, "Okay."  He would then get off the stool, go stand on the scale, go over to the wall chalkboard and write something, then come back to the stool to start all over again.  This went on for 20 minutes.  He was cracking me up!  So smart!!  He was such a brave guy, engaged in the whole thing...and only cried when the mean lady tried to stick that temperature thing under his arm!  Can you imagine the horror???!!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, one of my friends took Beth with her for the day; our intern picked Neil up from school and took him to basketball practice and then home; and Rex--he got to go to a Milwaukee Wave (professional soccer) game with his good friend, M.  M's mom texted me this picture...big smiles all around! 

(Thank you, Nancy, Bridget, and Kari...for loving our kids along with us.  We were blessed (again) by each of you today.)

1 comment:

kash said...

I'm glad the day went well!! :)

Post a Comment