It's early on a Saturday morning. Early as in 2:27 a.m. Not that abnormal for the old Hoffbeauty, but the new me--I'm going to bed much earlier now. Unless it's a Friday night....then I stay up as long as I want! Granted, tomorrow (this) morning, I need to be up and ready to go by around 9 a.m., but there's always time for sleep catchup later. For now, the quiet night...space to read, write, watch Netflix, and maybe, finally, blog a little.
Today was a wonderful day, especially when compared with yesterday. I started my day with a crazy dream about Jeff and his John-the-Baptist tendencies (In my dream, he wanted us to eat bugs!), but when I finally got myself out of bed and down to my favorite chair...the one I'm sitting in now...I had a really wonderful time with the Lord, and my day started off a lot different than...well...when I haven't.
You see, I have been struggling with anger. Anger toward my kids, my husband, myself. My inabilities have nearly overtaken me sometimes. My failures have seemed paramount. My flaws have glared at me in the face. It hasn't been pretty.
But today, as I sat with Jesus and began my BSF study of Acts, I was reminded of the work that His Holy Spirit can do--and wants to do--in and through me! A simple morning reallignment really truly did seem to make all the difference today. It's not as if the day was perfect, and it's not as if I didn't begin to lose my temper here and there. But when I messed up, the forgiveness that is There was easier to receive. And when things didn't go as I had hoped, Calm ruled. It was marvelous.
Jesus, I need you. E-ver-y mo-ment. Holy Spirit, empower me and remind me and teach me and guide me. Father, thank you for sending your Son and your Spirit after Him. God, I WORSHIP YOU, for You are holy, mighty, righteous, and all that I need.
I am reading a book right now called From Fear to Freedom. Yes, it's taken me about six years to read it. But now that I'm almost done, it was worth the wait. In it, Rose Marie Miller talks about a time when a pastor's wife admitted her anger and asked Rose Marie what she should do about it. Miller replied with something like, "I don't know a lot about these things, but I think what should you do has something to do with not trying to earn your own record anymore and accepting what Jesus has already done for you." It seemed too simple at first, and if I'm honest, it seems too simple to me, too. I rather like the idea that when I make a tasty, healthy, and otherwise-satisfying meal for my husband, I have earned just a little bit of a good wife righteousness. Or that when my children behave as well as they did today at the library, I have earned just even a smidgen of successful mom righteousness.
But all this is idolatry and should be damned. I need nothing......nothing.........NOTHING......BUT JESUS. His righteousness alone can satisfy the perfection required of me. His righteousness. Alone.
Jesus plus nothing. Amen.
Today was a wonderful day, especially when compared with yesterday. I started my day with a crazy dream about Jeff and his John-the-Baptist tendencies (In my dream, he wanted us to eat bugs!), but when I finally got myself out of bed and down to my favorite chair...the one I'm sitting in now...I had a really wonderful time with the Lord, and my day started off a lot different than...well...when I haven't.
You see, I have been struggling with anger. Anger toward my kids, my husband, myself. My inabilities have nearly overtaken me sometimes. My failures have seemed paramount. My flaws have glared at me in the face. It hasn't been pretty.
But today, as I sat with Jesus and began my BSF study of Acts, I was reminded of the work that His Holy Spirit can do--and wants to do--in and through me! A simple morning reallignment really truly did seem to make all the difference today. It's not as if the day was perfect, and it's not as if I didn't begin to lose my temper here and there. But when I messed up, the forgiveness that is There was easier to receive. And when things didn't go as I had hoped, Calm ruled. It was marvelous.
Jesus, I need you. E-ver-y mo-ment. Holy Spirit, empower me and remind me and teach me and guide me. Father, thank you for sending your Son and your Spirit after Him. God, I WORSHIP YOU, for You are holy, mighty, righteous, and all that I need.
I am reading a book right now called From Fear to Freedom. Yes, it's taken me about six years to read it. But now that I'm almost done, it was worth the wait. In it, Rose Marie Miller talks about a time when a pastor's wife admitted her anger and asked Rose Marie what she should do about it. Miller replied with something like, "I don't know a lot about these things, but I think what should you do has something to do with not trying to earn your own record anymore and accepting what Jesus has already done for you." It seemed too simple at first, and if I'm honest, it seems too simple to me, too. I rather like the idea that when I make a tasty, healthy, and otherwise-satisfying meal for my husband, I have earned just a little bit of a good wife righteousness. Or that when my children behave as well as they did today at the library, I have earned just even a smidgen of successful mom righteousness.
But all this is idolatry and should be damned. I need nothing......nothing.........NOTHING......BUT JESUS. His righteousness alone can satisfy the perfection required of me. His righteousness. Alone.
Jesus plus nothing. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment