Cutest Blog on the Block Background

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Our Cramazing May, Episode LXII: Waiting for Hoffbeast (to tell me that they were on the plane)

New night, same drill.  The cab arrived at our hotel at 11 p.m., even earlier than the night before, just to make absolutely sure that Hoffbeast and Rex had plenty of time to get to their gate this time.  Our friendly front desk manager had made good and sure that our itineraries had been printed out this time and that they would have no problems getting into the airport...and that they had his number in case they did!

Here's what I wrote that night as I waited...


Exhausted. That's me.  Completely exhausted.  And so ready to be home.  It's been the trip of a lifetime, and meeting our precious son is worth every ounce of tired that I've got in me (and I've got quite a few ounces of tired, believe me!), but all that doesn't make me any less tired today.  In this moment.


I am staying up, waiting for confirmation that the Hub and son are getting on the plane.  I assume they will, as tonight they breezed through check-in and through security and made it to their gate 3 hours early!  They've just been hanging out there ever since.  But I'm not banking on my assumptions.  Today there was a dust storm in the area, so for all we know, their plane will be delayed.


Tom and I leave for the airport at 10:30 a.m., which is in about 9 hours.  I would love to get lots of good sleep, but who knows if I will or not.  I have a feeling that it will be fitful sleep, as I will be too nervous about missing our plane to sleep very soundly.  But the bed is calling my name right now.  One more hour, Hoffbeauty---you can make it!


The Embassy.....it was wonderful.  That's all I'm gonna say for now.  The details will have to wait.  We got Tom's visa in hand less than 2 hours after arriving!  And the things I was "worried" about never even crossed my mind once we were there.  (That's not saying much, since my mind was pretty much on autopilot after having stayed up all night.) 


We got back to the hotel at about 11:45 a.m., and I slept on and off for the next 5 hours or so.  Have I mentioned that I'm exhausted?


But as I look at my son, there is such joy, pride, love, and undying affection....praising God tonight for the gift of our Tom--and for my whole family!  Can't wait to be reunited!"


As it turns out, they were delayed.  Next, I wrote this post...


"Their flight has been delayed by 1.5 hours.  They should have time to make their connection in Brussels.  If not, I might just have to call my friend, Cindy, in Germany and have her go get them!"


They did not make their connection, and before I could finally go to sleep that night, I had to again communicate with our awesome travel agent, this time so that she could rearrange their flights home.  They had originally been booked for Brussels to Chicago; the new plan was Brussels to New York and then one more flight, this one directly home to Milwaukee.


Their travel excitement didn't end there, though. When they arrived the next day in New York, their plane would land in Newark, where they were told that their plane to Milwaukee was departing from JFK and that they were be driven there in a black car. Problem is that they only had an hour between flights, and the drive was 45 minutes.  Somewhere on the drive, Hoffbeast realized there was a good chance they would miss this flight, too, but thankfully, that plane was late in arriving, so they made it...phew!


Back in Delhi, as soon as I had rebooked their flight, I went to sleep and trusted that they would make it...I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer!


No comments:

Post a Comment