It's dark, after midnight. The fan is running, pulling the cold air from one of two window air conditioners into the living room, where I sleep.
When I was a kid, we only had one window air conditioner. Serious upgrades are happening around here.
I love being home. I just do. Today, Mom and I went to town with the kids while Dad's caretaker was here, and as usual, when we stopped for a quick bite to eat, I saw someone I know. Or knew at one point, anyway, way back when.
It's always good to see familiar faces. Always. This one was a guy who went to my church growing up, and he told me of how he has never left town, always lived here.
That's how I thought I would be.
I had ideas of how to renovate this very house to the kind of dream home that I and my future family could live in, complete with a balcony and spiral staircase.
Instead, I live at 2319, and that is the place that my kids will always think of as home.
This summer, though, home for our little family of 7 was a 622 sq ft apartment...and it was perfect. It helped us remember the reality of the cliche that wherever we are as a family, that is home.
(Clearly, I'm not remembering the actual cliche. Work with me, here.)
In just a few days, the kids and I will return home, where we will be reunited as a family, and we will begin to readjust to life in a great big house. A house that has hundreds of corners where messes can be made and where sibling rivalry and angry reactions will too often take center stage. By God's grace, though, this year will be one where grace will abound in our house, offsetting in miraculous ways the sin that will abound there, too.
I call two places home, here with my parents and there with my husband and children. How blessed I am! May my blessings be used for the glory of God and the good of others, as the Lord leads....His ways are perfect.
When I was a kid, we only had one window air conditioner. Serious upgrades are happening around here.
I love being home. I just do. Today, Mom and I went to town with the kids while Dad's caretaker was here, and as usual, when we stopped for a quick bite to eat, I saw someone I know. Or knew at one point, anyway, way back when.
It's always good to see familiar faces. Always. This one was a guy who went to my church growing up, and he told me of how he has never left town, always lived here.
That's how I thought I would be.
I had ideas of how to renovate this very house to the kind of dream home that I and my future family could live in, complete with a balcony and spiral staircase.
Instead, I live at 2319, and that is the place that my kids will always think of as home.
This summer, though, home for our little family of 7 was a 622 sq ft apartment...and it was perfect. It helped us remember the reality of the cliche that wherever we are as a family, that is home.
(Clearly, I'm not remembering the actual cliche. Work with me, here.)
In just a few days, the kids and I will return home, where we will be reunited as a family, and we will begin to readjust to life in a great big house. A house that has hundreds of corners where messes can be made and where sibling rivalry and angry reactions will too often take center stage. By God's grace, though, this year will be one where grace will abound in our house, offsetting in miraculous ways the sin that will abound there, too.
I call two places home, here with my parents and there with my husband and children. How blessed I am! May my blessings be used for the glory of God and the good of others, as the Lord leads....His ways are perfect.
No comments:
Post a Comment