From my journal...
"Yesterday was a full and very emotional day, but in the end, we stayed at the Ginger again last night. He’s amazing. Right now, I’m watching him as he sits right next to the bathroom door. He will barely let Hoffbeast out of his sight, and since Daddy’s in the shower right now, he’s camped out by the door. We just brushed our teeth, and, of course, I used bottled water for my rinsing. So now he has his sippy cup and is sitting by the door, toothbrush on the bathmat, trying to “pour” water onto his toothbrush like I did.
"Yesterday was a full and very emotional day, but in the end, we stayed at the Ginger again last night. He’s amazing. Right now, I’m watching him as he sits right next to the bathroom door. He will barely let Hoffbeast out of his sight, and since Daddy’s in the shower right now, he’s camped out by the door. We just brushed our teeth, and, of course, I used bottled water for my rinsing. So now he has his sippy cup and is sitting by the door, toothbrush on the bathmat, trying to “pour” water onto his toothbrush like I did.
That is stinkin’ genius!
One of the most precious things I’ve ever seen is how he wakes, has this look of confusion on his face, sees Papa, closes his eyes in rest, puts his left thumb in his mouth and his right hand on Papa’s face. He pats it gently, as if to feel everything about his Daddy’s face. He loves Hoffbeast’s whiskers."
We really did enjoy our time at the Ginger. It was minimalist for sure, but absolutely adequate and plenty comfortable. Besides the restaurant that was right downstairs, the cafe offered coffee, hot chocolate, and other comforts of home--like ice cream and Snapple!
Tom was (and still is) a great eater. As long as he was close to Daddy, he was good. I love this picture, as he is so content with a fistful of food and sitting in Daddy's lap.
This day would turn out to be another long and taxing day, both mentally and emotionally for me as I tried to work on getting Tom's passport so that he was allowed to leave the country--and mentally and physically on the Daddy, as he tried to meet the needs of his new little shadow. Every day was precious--don't get me wrong--God was in every moment, and we were accutely aware that He was going before us, even as our flesh wanted to fight Him and not trust.
One of my very favorite moments of the day came after Scott and I had returned from the passport office. I came back to the room to find Rex and Tom playing together in the little hallway leading to the room door. Daddy had quick run downstairs to get something (probably coffee!), and Rex was playing the easy role of Fabulous Big Brother. Tom was cautious, waiting by the door for Daddy to return...
...but was learning to relax and rest in the presence of his new and very loving brother.
In between these pictures, though.....the story had continued to unfold in dramatic fashion. Next up? The Passport Office.
1 comment:
Seth is such a natural! So loving and at ease.
Keep going Sarah, it's an awesome "read" and even knowing the end of the story (sort of), I'm still excited to read your words! Can you even imagine how awesome it will be for "Tom" to read his own story one day?!
Post a Comment